What you should know...
Trust is the foundation of a relationship and is necessary for a mature relationship to develop. Broken trust can include lying or deception, infidelity, broken promises, and lack of emotional support. Trust is essential for a healthy and successful relationship, and addressing these issues is crucial for rebuilding trust and maintaining a strong foundation. When trust is broken, it between difficult and impossible for their partner to trust them again without help. This relationship concern requires a professional to ‘lend’ trust to the couple. This ‘lent’ trust creates a temporary foundation to rebuild trust from honest and words and behaviour.
What Does an Affair Mean?
An affair or other breach of trust is a devastating and traumatic experience in any relationship. If you have discovered or your partner has disclosed infidelity you will be having a whole range of overwhelming feelings. Our therapists can help you to process the pain of the affair, recover and protect your own values and priorities. An affair doesn’t have to be the end of your relationship. The sooner you get help the more chance you have to bring about healing and positive change.
An affair can be a huge traumatic loss and betrayal that can overwhelm a couples desire to cope, connect and communicate. Our team has some affair specialists who have years of experience guiding couples through this very common but difficult process.
Our Director Steven specialises in working intensively with couples working to rebuild their relationship after an affair or those who are trying to decide whether to stay or leave. In additiona we are working on online resourse to supplement and speed the healing process. Check out the Do’s and Don’t information below and watch the attached Youtube video with Esther Perel as this will be an important preparation for your work.
Do's and Don'ts
Important Do’s and Don’ts after discovering an affair
Don’t Interrogate your partner!
No matter what they say you won’t believe it and it is extremely unlikely that they will fully disclose the truth straight away – write all your questions down – the time for asking them is later.
Do insist they get a sexual health test before any sexual intimacy occurs
Do find a safe person other than your partner to talk to.
Do give yourself time to grieve
Can a relationship recover from an affair?
The short answer is Yes! Maybe . . .
Adultery is a serious relationship breach that causes mistrust, anger, fear, and deep sadness.
These feelings of betrayal will take time to heal. Like a bone being broken it is possible for healing to occur – and in fact for the limb/marriage to emerge stronger from the experience. However, there are specific things that must be done for this healing to begin and for trust and healing to occur.
Can we get back to where we were before?
Your relationship will change – a lot. To survive in most cases it means that it will have to get significantly better. It’s not possible to simple erase the past – building a Relationship 2.0 is a challenging and rewarding possibility.
Will I ever trust again?
Most likely Yes
You will trust differently, with your eyes wide open. You trust will not be given as freely but you will trust.
There is hope
1. Professional Help – Find a specialist relationship counsellor trained in PORT, PACT, Gottman Method, Imago Relationship Therapy or Emotionally Focussed Therapy who has successfully worked with couples to help them recover from an affair. Working with affairs is challenging – find the best help you can access.
2. Time – Expect to spend time in counselling and at home working this through – there is no magic solution – make strategic plans to minimise avoidable time entanglements family social and religious entanglements may need to take a back seat for a while.
3. Money – working less, attending counselling, taking holidays together will have a tangible financial cost – however this cost is a fraction of the cost of separation.
4. Vulnerability – At some level all affairs occur because we could not voice a request for something we needed or desired – this is true for both the affaired on and the affairee. The primary reason for a professional therapist or counsellor is to create a safe environment for this vulnerability to occur.
Recovery will take couples and individual therapy, time, patience, developing new skills, understanding, and empathy. It is essential that you both understand the underlying causes of the affair, and each take responsibility for all unmet needs in the relationship.
Adultery is a wake-up for the call (a dysfunctional one). If you listen to the call the relationship will become stronger.
Need Urgent Help – Try Relationship Rescue or Intensives
Our Relationship Rescue service – gives you a longer session with one of our senior counsellors. These are available with Steven
It is a very appropriate service to use for couples looking to tackle an affair as it gives enough time to work through issues in greater depth. Alternatively you can do full day or multi day sessions with our director Steven more info here
What is a Relationship Intensives Relationship Intensives condense over a month of therapy into a one day – to fast track the healing process. It’s often used for clients starting therapy in a lo...
Relate Unlimited - it’s all the good stuff? Conversations with our therapists and visiting experts. Short and long courses on all things Relational. It’s what you need to know to create great relationships. Regularly updated and interactive - send in your questions for tailored answers. Always available on any device, it's there when you need it.
All offered for the monthly cost of a Netflix subscription.
Relate Unlimited will help you answer questions like:
- Can my relationship be better?
- Will couples therapy help?
- What are the secrets of awesome relationships?
- Why do we fight (even though we want to stop)?
- Why does it feel like we are speaking different languages?
- And many, many more.
Relate Unlimited also includes specialized courses including:
- How do I survive a betrayal?
- Escaping toxic masculinity?
- Managing sex and pornography addiction
As therapists we know the need is vastly greater than our capacity to see clients. Combining great therapy with key information helps us become more effective, therapy is easier, faster cheaper and more powerful. We want to make Relate Unlimited irresistible.
We priced Relate Unlimited at $15, because Netflix is $15 a month and a decent lunch is $15. In our minds making your relationship better is worth at least the cost of Netflix or lunch.
And just to make it easier we even included a free trial to see if you agree …